This October, try getting lost in a maze or winning your own funeral
The leaves are falling, the nights are getting longer and the undead begin to roam our streets. October is here and Halloween is creeping around the corner. This month is all about spooks and howls so here are five things you can do to get your horror fix.
1. Calgary Ghost Tours offer tales of ghosts and unexplainable hauntings that take you on a trip you’ll remember for all eternity. Ghost walks are held in the following areas: Inglewood, Downtown Calgary, Kensington and the Beltline. These tours are great for all ages but the older crowd may prefer the intoxicating tales of the pub walk.
Dates vary and many require reservations.
Adults : $15
Children/ Youth: 6 – 13 : $10
2. Boo at the Zoo is for anyone who likes a little hippo or gorilla with their Halloween
Photo by MacKenzie and Dmac Studios
frights. The Calgary Zoo runs extended hours so parents can bring their little monsters to view the animals in a haunted, but family friendly setting.
Night: Oct. 26 & 27, 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Day: Oct. 28, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Price: 12 and under $8
3. Calgary Corn Maze might just offer the most terrifying Halloween experience ever. The organizers are allowing people to go into the maze at night with flashlights. What could be more scary then being lost in a maze at night?
Flashlight nights are Oct. 5, 12 and 19; on those nights the site will remain open until 10 p.m.
Calgary Corn Maze will also be open for regular visits on:
Mon: Closed, except for Oct. 8, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tues and Wed: 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Fri: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sat and Sun: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Ages 2 and under: Free Youth (ages 3 to 17): $10 Adults (ages 18 to 64): $12
4. ScreamFest is always good for a fright. This year ScreamFest is giving away a free funeral. That’s right, a free funeral. ScreamFest is being held at the Calgary Stampede grounds this year. Be careful as you explore as “freaks” will be running around to scare people.
ScreamFest dates: Oct. 5, 6, 12, 13, 19 to 21 and 26 to 31, 7 p.m. to midnight.
Price: General admission $25 at the door. Early bird sales online.
Children must attend with an adult
5. The 2012 Calgary Zombie Walk is for those who want to be the undead for one day of the year. Hordes of brain-eating, stumbling Calgary citizens will be terrorizing the streets as they walk from Olympic Plaza to Tomkins Park. To participate all you have to do is go to Olympic Plaza looking like a zombie and follow the crowd of living dead.
Zombie Walk: Oct. 13, 1 p.m. Olympic Plaza
Free for anyone to join or watch.