An annual event aimed at encouraging citizens to think more critically about how to use and design public spaces is set to take place this fall. The City of Calgary and the Alberta Association of Landscape Architects are accepting applications for the fourth annual PARK(ing) Day on September 20.
PARK(ing) day first started in San Francisco in 2005 and has brought people in communities together and fostered social interactions — it has also been a very successful project over the last four years in Calgary, the city said.
“We are encouraging Calgarians to participate in this around-the-globe initiative and transform more than a dozen parking stalls along Kensington Road into livable and creative spaces,” said Kate Zago, a planner with the City of Calgary.
This year’s PARK(ing) day will take place in Kensington, along Kensington Road N.W. and Kensington Crescent N.W., from noon to 6 p.m. Due to the type of event this is, there will be a temporary closure of many parking spots as they will all be in the process of being remodeled into fun and interactive urban spaces that citizens can explore.
For this year’s PARK(ing) day, the Alberta Association of Landscape Architects, in partnership with the City of Calgary, will be granting five PARK(ing) Day awards for most interactive; most creative; most colorful; judge’s choice; and people’s favorite.
Anyone can submit an application by August 14. However, a few things to note before submitting an application are:
- Allotted space is 2.4 meters by 6 meters
- Must be temporary
- Must incorporate a 4’ high protective fence to separate the installation from vehicular traffic
- Installations should be sturdy and safe, while not interfering with traffic
- Signage is limited to two posters, no larger than 11 by 17 inches, that serve the sole purpose of acknowledging the creators, investors, and organizers of the PARK(ing) Day installation
- The installation will require one representative at minimum, on-site during the entire event.
For more information about PARK(ing) day and the application form can be found at calgary.ca/parkingday.