Looking at how to find the perfect boarding facility
Boarding facilities are an option for those people that have to leave their pets behind.
However, with so many options around Calgary, how do you know which one is best suited for your pet?
Pet owner Marilyn Glerum is one of those who have used those boarding facilities.
“There’s no way I could enjoy my holidays not knowing if my cats we’re being loved and taken care of just like I would.”
Local veterinarian Dr. Wendy McClelland gave a few pointers to ensure that happens:
- Always go visit the facility before hand
- Look at the size of the boarding facility and also the kennels
- Make sure it’s clean and has a pleasant smell
- Make sure all pets have their vaccinations
- Make sure the staff is friendly
- Ask if there is a vet on standby in case of emergency
- Ask how they spilt up the animals (for example, size, temperament and age)
- Look at the extras (for example, is there playtime for the animals)
Also, keep in mind the holidays are a high time for pet boarding.
Owners should look at booking their pets about six months in advance to secure their spot.
Just ask Glen Condran, the general manager of Springbank pet resort – a veterinarian-owned and operated facility that sits on four acres of land just on the outskirts of Calgary.
“This industry is just booming, every week we see a
handful of new and repeat customers,” he said.