Twist on a traditional bread recipe a marriage of flavours
This recipe, originally found in “Company’s Coming: Greatest Hits” has been tweaked and became a family favourite.
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour for kneading
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. of Celtic sea salt
- 2 tbsp. of fancy molasses
- 1 bottle of light ale beer; dark stout can be used for a stronger taste
- 1 tsp. of butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix 3 cups of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add molasses and room temperature beer, still to moisten. The dough will be sticky. Sprinkle flour around the dough and knead until extra flour is absorbed. Place into a greased, eight-inch pan. Using a sharp knife, slice 1/2 inch lines into the dough, make at least 6 slices.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until bread no longer sticks to the pan.
- Let the bread cool for five minutes before brushing the softened butter.