Hello Calgary Journal Subscribers!
This week we’re excited to finally share a project we’ve been working on for a while now.
The last couple years have been difficult for small businesses and not-for-profit organizations in our city. To highlight some of those great people and stories, we teamed up with Afros In Tha City to create a special series called Black in Business.
The stories and videos below feature leaders in diverse fields including the culinary industry, fitness, fashion, the arts and more.
- Knit Me Up Style: Creating confidence through personal styling Sade Babatunde is the owner of a local styling business called Knit Me Up Style, a place where she hopes to welcome customers of all different shapes, sizes and backgrounds.
- Hanupor Apparel: Custom fashion from Nigeria to Calgary Hanupor Apparel was born in Mary Ladipo’s living room back in Nigeria over five years ago and her business has continued to grow and flourish since she immigrated to Canada.
- Rhythm Fitness: Personal training for everyone Jacqui Mmono left her oil and gas sector job five years ago looking for a new adventure. She never expected this change would lead her to start her own fitness business in Calgary.
- Luxerapy: Multicultural skin care Sameerah, the owner of Luxerapy Esthetics, started focusing her business more on skin care after she sought treatment for some of her own skin conditions.
- T’oria Skincare: How one businesswoman is bringing handmade Africa-inspired skincare to Calgary Sarah Akinfenwa wasn’t planning on starting her business during a pandemic and has faced challenges and sleepless nights along the way. But the positive responses from her customers surprised her.
I look forward to providing an update for you all again to kick off the summer season!
— Josh Werle, newsletter editor
Sharing is caring
Any time you see an article published on the Calgary Journal website that you enjoy, please don’t be afraid to share it with your network — our reporters and editorial team appreciate the exposure. We’re actively working to improve our social media engagement and newsletter subscriber numbers. So please share, share, share!